A BRIEF HISTORY OF HAPPY VALLEY
1850 – The Deardorffs cross the plains to Oregon.
September 27, 1850 – The Donation Land Claim Act is passed by the U.S. Congress.
1851 – Christian and Matilda Deardorff settle on a donation land claim beside Scouters’ Mountain and are the first to settle in what would become Happy Valley.2
October 1851 – John M. Deardorff claims 320 acres next to his parents’ claim.3
1852 – Francis and Amanda Talbert and their children travel the Oregon Trail and arrive in Oregon. Francis would receive a Donation Land Claim in present-day Happy Valley. Francis’ son, John A. Talbert, would serve in many public positions including in the state legislature. Mount Talbert was likely named after the family.
1858 – The historic Deardorff Barn is constructed on the property of John M. Deardorff.
1865 – Harvey Scott, the namesake of Mount Scott, becomes the editor of The Oregonian.
January 6, 1876 – A travelled road going from Harmony to Damascus is established as County Road #96. This road is today’s SE Sunnyside Road.
1884 – The Sunnyside School is established at the northeast corner of present-day 122nd and Sunnyside Roads.
December 14, 1884 – Christian Deardorff passes away and is buried in the Christilla Pioneer Cemetery on Scouters’ Mountain.
1890 – George, Charles F. and John C. Zinser each build homes in Happy Valley and the Zinser family becomes one of the longest residing families in Happy Valley.
April 30, 1891 – Matilda Deardorff passes away and is buried in the Christilla Pioneer Cemetery on Scouters’ Mountain.
1892 – A small one-room schoolhouse opens on land donated to the county from John Deardorff’s land claim.
1898 – The area going north to Foster Road is surveyed for a new county road. This would be an important route for valley residents to reach the markets on Foster. Today, the road begins as 132nd Avenue and becomes Deardorff Road.